Saturday, August 4, 2007

Hoping to Stumble On Happiness*

Fear controls my life. At any one moment I can be happy and a second later fear overtakes me. My fear is for my children; my two sons (29 and 22) are in Iraq serving our country in the Army, my daughter (24) thinks she's "bullet-proof" (she's engaged to her soul mate; thus, the planning a wedding bit), and my step-daughter (28) is slowly finding her way to contentment. For more information on my fear, please read my other blog ArmyMomTimesThree.Blogspot.com.

Two of my children and my daughter-in-law are college graduates (West Point (son & DIL) and Florida State), three of my children are homeowners. All of my children are happy with who they are and how they are living their lives. They are all healthy, financially independent, smart, good looking, fun-loving adults who make us very proud.

I believe that I am married to my soul mate. We've been together for 16 years. He has been an amazing father to my children and without his influence I know they would not be who they are today. When my oldest son was married in 2000, he gave my husband a pocket watch with these words engraved on the back: "Thanks for being the Dad you didn't have to be." (See Brad Paisley song, "He Didn't Have to Be".)

My children have lived in this house since they were very young (we moved here 21 years ago). It is "Home Base" for them and, not having roots of my own, part of my commitment to them was to let them grow up in one place and always have HOME to come back to (hopefully just to visit). My children love this house so much that they are planning to have a tattoo designed with our address #! Maybe I'll do it too.

In my lifetime I have been able to change my legacy. From a childhood of barely getting by, moving every few years (father Baptist preacher), seeing only financial irresponsibility, having been manipulated by an unstable mother ("You are a miserable person and you make everyone around you miserable), to having and raising such wonderful, content, accomplished children; my life's mission accomplished.

So NOW what do I do?

Having made my "opening remarks," I hope to never write a negative sentence again on this blog. This is where I WILL Take Back My Bliss.



*Stumbling on Happiness by Daniel Gilbert (Harvard Professor of Psychology) -- it's an amazingly informative and funny look at how the human brain functions. READ IT!

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Too cool, woman. This is a nice blog. GO FOR IT!!! TAKE BACK YOUR BLISS!!! WHen you get it...pass some to your FIA!

Anonymous said...

Your comment that 'fear controls my life' struck home! I surrendered my youngest son to the Army in June and my second one is most likely leaving in January. My oldest son will soon be part of the wedding planning process for himself. Fear most definitly controls my life. Thank you for sharing your thoughts in both of your blogs. I am at www.sharonmlove.com. Be well!